Pages

Translate

Thursday, February 27, 2014

An afternoon spent at Bentonville

 Sunday afternoon was absolutely gorgeous and it was too wonderful a day to be spent indoors or just at home in general. After lunch we packed up the family in to the SUV and made the hour long trip out to Bentonville which I thought awesome. The drive was peaceful, the views of the farmlands was lovely and the problems of the world just seemed to melt away even if it was only for a few hours, it was a few hours well spent. Bentonville is a historic battle site in North Carolina and it was one of the last battles fought between Union Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman and Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnson. If you would like to read more then just click here. It was a great historical field trip for the kids and I just enjoyed it in general, it really is a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon day.


Bentonville photos
 
 
 
 
 
FIRE!!!!!!!!
 

 
View from behind a cannon
 

 
Off to the rail we go!
 
 
 
AHHH! It's a Hobbit Hole!
 

 
Sand soft as the beach was too much a temptation for my siblings and before I knew it they were all playing in it.
 

 
The trenches were pretty neat, you couldn't go on them but it was cool looking at them.

 
Over the bridge and through the woods.... well where on earth should we go?
 
 
 
That is such a Faith smile ;)

 
There are so many different trails to choose from and trails that lead to other trails, it just keeps going on.

 
Brayden playing in the sand.

 
Battle information, I loved stopping to read these all along the trail.
 
 

 
I wander what he was thinking at that moment.
 
 
 
Eden giggling, and completely barefoot mind you. I had to carry piggy back all the way to where she was there.

 
A small pile of pinecones Seth had gathered while we were there. But these were no small pinecones, they were massive and dangerous, you definitely don't want to get hit with one of these in the head. I wonder if the soldiers used these as weapons?

 
To the soldiers whose names are forever left unknown, their poor families what were they going through at that time? Never knowing if this was your son, brother, cousin, uncle, father or friend.
 

 
They just recently found these graves and placed headstones to mark and honor these soldiers who fought in the Civil War.
 

 
Beautiful yet dreadful all at the same time.
 

 
A poem with so much emotion entwined through it.
 
 
 
A marker representing all those lost at the Bentonville Battlefield.
 

 
Jacob wanting his photo taken and I say he was one handsome little boy :)
 
 
It was lovely being able to spend the day with my family as I will be starting work next Monday so my days will be filled with more work and not too much time spent with them. But it just means that I am beginning my life, and God is leading me to places I never even dreamed of. I have big plans for my life and I cannot wait until I can but my own car, get an education, and probably travel across the United States, and maybe even Ireland? Who knows!!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from all of you so there is no need to be shy!